This is a bit complicated and requires a lot of spices but it is a very good recipe.
- 2 cups onions coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh marjoram chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh sage chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup sunflower or safflower oil
- 6 cups fresh or canned tomatoes chopped
1. Use a food processor to blend all ingredients except oil and tomatoes to a coarse grind.
2. Transfer this mixture to a large heavy saucepan and saute it in the oil for 15 minutes. Add chopped tomatoes and allow the mixture to simmer for at least an hour.
Stew dried peppers until plump then add to mix as you puree to taste. I like it hot so I use several.